Published On: Fri, Jul 24th, 2020

Child benefit warning: This letter from HMRC must be responded to – payments could stop | Personal Finance | Finance

Featured Offers

Legal Notice: Product prices and availability are subject to change. Visit corresponding website for more details. Trade marks & images are copyrighted by their respective owners.

Child Benefit can be claimed from as soon as the child’s birth is registered up until they turn 16. However, if the child in questions stays in approved education or training, the payments can continue until they turn 20.

If the child is not staying in education or training, the payments will stop on the August 31 after the child becomes 16.

When the child turns 16, HMRC will send the parents a letter asking them whether the child will be staying in education or training.

It is important to reply to this letter as it will determine if the Child Benefit will continue to come through.

If a decision is made by the HMRC and claimants are unhappy with it, they can ask them to look at their decision again under “mandatory reconsideration” rules.

READ MORE: Child Benefit payment dates will change next month 

It should be noted that only one person can get Child Benefit for a child so parents will need to decide who among them will make the claim.

The person who claims will get National Insurance credits towards their state pension if they’re not working or earn less than £166 a week.

To put through a claim for the first time, a “CH2” form will need to be completed and sent to the Child Benefit Office.

If the child being claimed for was adopted or was born outside of the UK, additional documentation will be needed.

If the claimant’s circumstances change while they’re claiming Child Benefit, they must report the changes to the Child Benefit Office.

This can include changes to family life such as getting married, or changes to the child’s life which can include leaving education.

If the family involved want to change who gets/claims the Child Benefit they will need to contact the Child Benefit Office and ensure that the new claimant makes a claim following this.

It’s possible to stop or restart Child Benefit payments at any time which may be useful for people who earn more than £50,000 and will therefore need to pay tax on the payments.

Source link

Clickbank Guide & Tools